|Home | About ECUA | News & Events | Solid Waste & Recycling | FAQ | SWAC | Recycling Contacts & Links | Forms | Education | Enforcement | Contact Us|
• Mandatory Recyclable Materials
In accordance with New Jersey law, several materials are not allowed to be disposed of as garbage. Please see the following link for information about what Residents, Businesses and Institutions must recycle.
• Approved Solid Waste and Recycling Facilities in Essex County (Updated 10/13/2010)
• Acceptable materials at our Household Hazardous Waste Events
• Acceptable materials at our Computer & Electronics Recycling Events
• New E-Waste Recycling Requirements & Free Recycling Solutions for Essex Residents
• Essex County Resident Recycling Guide
Produced by ECUA and authorized for distribution by Essex County, this guide is an up-to-date and concise listing of the recycling responsibilities for all county residents. This file is available for reproduction and circulation by all municipalities within Essex County to their residents.
• Town-by-Town Municipal Recycling Rates – 2011
• Town-by-Town Municipal Recycling Rates – 2010
• Town-by-Town Municipal Recycling Rates – 2009
• Town-by-Town Municipal Recycling Rates – 2008
• Decoding the Recycling Symbols Seen on Every Day Products
• Movers Guide to Recycling Boxes
• Smoke Alarm/Detector Disposal
When smoke alarms/detectors cease to function, they should be returned to their respective manufacturer for proper disposal. Please consult the reference manual or the case of your unit for manufacturer contact information. Should you not be able to determine the manufacturer, FIREX will accept and properly dispose of all manufacturers’ smoke alarms/detectors at no charge.
• Homeowners Guide to Battery Management
• Rechargeable Battery Recycling Corporation (RBRC) Drop-off Locations
The RBRC is a free rechargeable battery and cell phone collection program established to divert these materials from the solid waste stream. There are various collection points around Essex County where residents can place these materials in RBRC-approved collection boxes for recycling.
• Refrigerator Recycling
Recycle your refrigerator through New Jersey’s Clean Energy Program. Call 877-270-3520 to arrange for a FREE pickup and they will pay you $50 for your old refrigerator. For more information go to njcleanenergy.com
• Essex County’s Cell Phones for Seniors Donation Program
• Non-Traditional Recyclable Materials Guide
In addition to mandatory materials collected through your Municipal Recycling Program, a wide range of additional materials can be reused or recycled. Anything that can be pulled out of the solid waste stream and put back into use benefits the environment, and your bottom dollar as a taxpayer. The environment actually wins twice – the material doesn’t take up landfill space, and another product doesn’t need to be manufactured to replace it!
• Used Oil Collection
When used motor oil is discharged into soils or waterways it has a long-lasting and devastating affect on the soils, water quality, vegetation and wildlife. If used motor is discarded down the storm drain, it will eventually reach a nearby waterway and cause expensive problems for the municipally, County or Authority that owns the underground pipes. If you change your own oil or have oil that you no longer need, it is prohibited for you to discharge it to the environment. It may not be thrown into the garbage either.
• Drug Disposal Guide
• Medical Sharp Disposal Guide
• Final SWMP report
• County Solid Waste Management Plan
• NJMC Keegan Landfill Procedures for Disposal of Construction/Demolition and
Bulky Wastes by Homeowners
• Directions to the NJMC Keegan Landfill
Leroy F. Smith Jr. Public Safety Building, 60 Nelson Place, 6th Floor, Newark, NJ 07102 • firstname.lastname@example.org • (973) 792-9060
© Copyright 2008 Essex County Utilities Authority
|Web Design: Graphic Matter Inc.|