Recycling has economic benefits, conserves resources, is energy efficient and reduces pollution!
• Every ton diverted from the waste stream saves $80.00-$91.00 on tipping fees within Essex County Municipalities.
• Recyclable materials have resale value, making the expenditure on their disposal that much less logical.
• By making products from recycled materials instead of virgin materials, we conserve land and reduce the need to
drill for oil and mine for minerals.
• It usually takes less energy to make recycled products; recycled aluminum, for example, takes 95% less energy
than making new aluminum from bauxite ore.
• In most cases, making products from recycled materials creates less air pollution and water pollution than
making products from virgin materials.
• When the materials that you recycle go into new products, they don't go into landfills or incinerators, so landfill
space is conserved.
Recycling also plays a vital role in reducing your “Carbon Footprint” by reducing carbon emissions during production, emissions during decomposition and clearing of vegetation for new landfill space. Calculate your carbon footprint below and see the correlation with recycling: